Sunday, March 13, 2016

UNSTUCK.

God’s last act of faithfulness is never his last act of faithfulness.

I will say it 1,000 times and then some. I will scream it from the rooftops. I will tell anyone who will listen and even those who may not…

MY GOD IS SO GOOD. OUR GOD IS SO GOOD. Why is He so darn good?!

Because that is who He is. That’s His character. That’s His way.

God is light, and in him is no darkness at all (1 John 1:5). He is a shield for all who take refuge in him (Psalm 18:30).

Even in the bad times. Even in the struggle.

Christ Jesus said us that in Him we may have peace. In the world we will have tribulation. But we are to take heart; He has overcome the world (John 16:33).

But do we believe it? Do we truly believe that we are overcomers? Because if we do, we have to believe it with our whole hearts. We can’t give up when the going gets tough, or when we can’t navigate the season we’re in, or when we have trials of many kinds.

We have to believe, truly believe that our God is faithful. That he is who he says he is.

Elohim…The Strong One
El Shaddai… God Almighty
El Olam… The Everlasting God
Yahweh Jireh… The Lord is our Provider
Yahweh Shalom… The Lord is our Peace
Yahweh Maccaddeshcem… The Lord is our Sanctifier

The list goes on and on and on. There is no end to the greatness of His name, much less His faithfulness.

Even though I know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28), His faithfulness to me – to all of His people – is almost incomprehensible. I don’t know why I continue to be surprised by the way He knows each of us on such a personal level, the way that only our Creator could, but it never ceases to amaze me. The Lord is faithful. He will strengthen us and protect us (2 Thessalonians 3:3).

In February of this year, I got sick. Really sick. I thought I was having a stroke and so did my doctor. At one point, I couldn’t sit up. I couldn’t stand. I couldn’t walk. I could barely eat. After extensive MRIs and other medical procedures, it quickly became clear that it wasn’t a stroke… nor was it cancer, a tumor, multiple sclerosis, or any number of other very serious issues. My doctors were stumped. But I wasn’t. A peace had overtaken me, a peace that was given to me; not as the world gives, but as only God can give. So my heart was neither troubled, nor afraid (John 14:27), a miracle in and of itself as I am typically a worrier, by nature. This escapade went on for a nearly a month, but through it all I knew that God would heal me – one way or another. And He did. In fact, my healing came so simply, it was almost ridiculous. My body had stopped producing cortisol – an easy fix, considering the alternatives.

I am fully healed. Not just inwardly, not just outwardly, but more importantly, spiritually.

You see, I had been in a rut.

At work.
At home.
In my mind.
In my soul.

I was stuck.

But God was faithful. God IS faithful.

In good times, bad times, and every time in between, God has never left my side. Sure, there have been times when I have chosen not to see Him, but he never left me. It wasn’t until I was still enough to look to Him that I knew beyond any doubt that although my flash and my heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever (Psalm 73:19). 

I knew I could count on Him. 
I knew He would deliver me. 
He just needed me to remember. 

And I did.

Praise the Lord.

Praise the Lord from the heavens;
Praise him in the heights above.
Praise him, all his angels;
Praise him, all his heavenly hosts.
Praise him, sun and moon;
Praise him, all you shining stars.
Praise him, you highest heavens
And you waters above the skies.

Let them praise the name of the Lord,
For at his command they were created,
And he established them for ever and ever –
He issued a decree that will never pass away. (Psalm 148:1-6)

I know this most recent trial will not be my last trial, but I also know that God’s last act of faithfulness will not be his last act of faithfulness. And may I remember to praise Him for that each and every day.

God, you are so good, beyond comprehension and beyond compare. You continually bring us out of darkness and into Your light. You still the storms in our lives and usher us into the calm. May we remember, Lord, that you are our portion forever, our Great Sustainer and Confidante. May we be ceaselessly amazed by your loving faithfulness and goodness. Thank you for who you are, the Great I AM, and who we are in you. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment